There are both common hazards within a nursing home, like slips and falls, and hazards unique to a medical environment, such as medication errors. Some of the most common you need to be aware of are:
· Slips and trips: Wet floors and loose cables or wiring can be extremely hazardous to older residents
· Fire: While this can happen anywhere, a care home’s kitchen is the most commonplace for one to start
· Spread of infections: Both contagious diseases and non-contagious infections are serious risks in a care home
· Security: It is essential to ensure the premises are safe
· Medication errors: Residents of a long-term care home often take several medications, increasing the risk of a mistake or complication
With an Avensure care home risk assessment, we highlight everything you need to address in your care home and help you develop a plan to mitigate these risks.