What are RIDDOR Regulations & What are Employer’s Responsibilities for RIDDOR Reportable Incidents?

Home H&S What are RIDDOR Regulations & What are Employer’s Responsibilities for RIDDOR Reportable Incidents?
RIDDOR Landing page v x

Firstly many people ask what RIDDOR means, RIDDOR stands for reporting injuries diseases, and dangerous occurrences. Accidents at work can happen, even with the best control measures in place. Should something occur with one of your employees, the accident may become a RIDDOR reportable incident. Accidents that happen at work, if deemed reportable, will become RIDDOR reportable accidents.

What is RIDDOR? RIDDOR Employers & Employees’ Responsibilities for Reporting of Injuries Diseases

As mentioned above RIDDOR stands for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases, and Dangerous Occurrences, and the Regulations were passed in 2013.  Under RIDDOR regulations, employers, self-employed people, and anyone who is in control of business premises are legally required to report specified workplace RIDDOR reportable incidents. This also includes RIDDOR reports on non-consensual violence to employees whilst they are working.

Employers’ Responsibilities Under Riddor: What needs to be reported?

  • Employers responsibilities for RIDDOR include Deaths and Injuries: If someone had died or been injured because of a work-related accident, this may need to be reported. Not all accidents need to be reported, except for certain gas incidents, a RIDDOR report is only required when:
  • Reportable injuries under RIDDOR also apply if the accident is work-related
  • It results in an injury type that is reportable under RIDDOR regulations.

What are the Types of Reportable Injury Under RIDDOR Regulations?

The death of any person: All deaths of workers and non-workers, except for suicides must be reported according to RIDDOR regulations if they arise from a work-related accident, RIDDOR reportable incidents also include an act of physical violence to a worker.

Reporting Injuries Diseases & Dangerous Occurrences: Employees’ Responsibilities (RIDDOR Reportable Injuries)

  • RIDDOR reportable injuries include Fractures, other than to fingers, thumbs, and toes
  • Amputations
  • Any injury likely to lead to permanent loss of sight or reduction in sight
  • Any crush injury to the head or torso causing damage to the brain or internal organs is classed as a RIDDOR reportable injury.
  • Serious burns (including scalding) which:
  • Covers more than 10% of the body
  • Causes significant damage to the eyes, respiratory system, or other vital organs
  • Reportable injuries under RIDDOR also include any scalping requiring hospital treatment
  • Any loss of consciousness caused by head injury or asphyxia
  • Any other injury arising from working in an enclosed space which:
  • Reporting injuries diseases and dangerous occurrences employers responsibilities also include injuries leading to hypothermia or heat-induced illness
  • Injuries requiring resuscitation or admittance to the hospital for more than 24 hours will also be classed as reportable injuries under RIDDOR.

RIDDOR Reportable Accidents: Over-Seven-Day Incapacitation of a Worker:

RIDDOR reportable accidents must be reported where they result in an employee or self-employed person being away from work, or unable to perform their normal work duties, for more than seven consecutive days as the result of their injury. This seven-day period does not include the day of the work-related accident but does include weekends and rest days. The RIDDOR  report must be made within 15 days of the accident.

Over-three-day incapacitation: RIDDOR reportable accidents must be recorded, but not reported where they result in a worker being incapacitated for more than three consecutive days.

Non-fatal accidents to non-workers (e.g. members of the public): Accidents to members of the public or others who are not at work must be classed as RIDDOR reportable incidents and reported if they result in an injury and the person is taken directly from the scene of the accident to the hospital for treatment to that injury. Examinations and diagnostic tests do not constitute ‘treatment’ in such circumstances. There is no need to report incidents where people are taken to the hospital purely as a precaution when no injury is apparent.

Other Areas That May Need RIDDOR Reporting

In some circumstances, some occupational diseases and dangerous occurrences also need HSE RIDDOR reporting. It’s an employer’s responsibility under RIDDOR as well as self-employed people to report any of the below reportable work-related illnesses or RIDDOR reportable incidents.

Occupational diseases:

  • Carpal tunnel syndrome;
  • Severe cramp of the hand or forearm;
  • Occupational dermatitis;
  • Hand-arm vibration syndrome;
  • Occupational asthma;
  • Tendonitis or tenosynovitis of the hand or forearm;
  • Any occupational cancer;
  • Any disease attributed to occupational exposure to a biological agent.

Dangerous Occurrences:

Dangerous occurrences are certain, specified near-miss RIDDOR reportable incident events. Not all such events require reporting. There are 27 categories of dangerous occurrences that are relevant to most workplaces, for example:

  • The collapse, overturning, or failure of load-bearing parts of lifts and lifting equipment;
  • Plant or equipment coming into contact with overhead power lines;
  • The accidental release of any substance which could cause injury to any person.

The Avensure Health & Safety team is happy to talk you through the RIDDOR health and safety procedures businesses need to have in place, so please contact us if you want to discuss your RIDDOR health and safety needs in more detail. Please quote your Client Account Number on all correspondence and telephone calls. 24-hour client advice line: 0800 151 2935.

RIDDOR Employers Responsibilities FAQs

What are the responsibilities of the employer to protect the staff from injury?

Employers are responsible for protecting their staff from injury. The employer’s responsibilities for RIDDOR regulations include ensuring that the workplace is safe and that employees are not exposed to hazards that could lead to injury. Employers must also take measures to prevent accidents from happening in the first place, by creating a safe work environment and enforcing safety protocols. Under the law employers must ensure the RIDDOR health and safety of staff and the prevention of injuries and disease by various means. Including providing first aid training and supplies. Employers’ responsibilities for RIDDOR also include Providing information on risk factors, safe and adequate equipment, training, and supervision.

What are the responsibilities of the employer and employee?

Employers must provide their employees an opportunity to work and ensure that their employers can find this. Then the person has the tools for the task. Employers should pay employees’ pay and benefits agreed upon and provide vacations, paid holidays, and other kinds of holidays.

Which of these are part of the employer’s responsibilities under RIDDOR?

RIDDOR legislation is a UK employment law system that was designed to improve the workplace by making sure employers are following certain rules and regulations regarding work-related accidents. Some of the responsibilities that employers under RIDDOR must adhere to include providing a safe and healthy work environment, paying fair wages, and providing workers with proper training. Employers are legally responsible for protecting employees’ health and safety. As part of your obligations, you have to perform risk evaluations in the workplace for reducing or eliminating risks to your employees which could possibly lead to RIDDOR reportable incidents.

What are your responsibilities as an employee?

As an employee, you are responsible for upholding the company’s values and policies. You are also expected to be an active member of the team, contribute to discussions, and be respectful to your colleagues. It is important to be proactive and stay up-to-date on changes to company policies so you can be an effective communicator and team player. The main responsibility of employees is to be responsible for the safety of others and adhere to the dangerous occurrences regulations 2013. While cooperating to ensure the safety and quality of the work of the employer, and who will ensure you get the proper training.

What obligations do employers have to their employees?

Employers have a number of obligations to their employees, including providing a safe and healthy work environment, providing a fair wage, and ensuring that employees are properly trained. Employers must also provide reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities and must provide notice and a chance for employees to comment on proposed changes to the workplace. Provide workplaces without known hazards and comply with OSH laws underlined with RIDDOR regulations in place. Obtain workplace information and ensure compliance with applicable OSHA rules and requirements. Keep employees safe when using and maintaining these tools.

author avatar
Elena Boura